Thursday, June 2, 2011

How cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?

I want to cool off a small bedroom. The home has central air but thermostat is set higher than I'd like. I want to cool my western-facing bedroom more that what the thermostat is set at and not sure which way to go. A tower fan or small 5,000 BTU window air conditioner. If I get the tower fan, I'd have to change the thermostat from 78 degrees to 74 degrees. If I get a widnow unit, I can keep the central air thermostat at 78 and just cool my room off. Which is more cost effective?How cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?
I %26quot;had%26quot; exactly the same situation. I wanted to cool the bedroom where I sleep without cooling the rest of the house. I set the thermostat for the house on 80. I bought a 6000 BTU unit for my bedroom and it works great. My dog and two cats also think it's great. I have only had it about a month. The paper, work with the %26quot;energy efficient%26quot; unit, said it would cost $49 a year to run. I'll believe that when I see it. Haven't gotten my first bill yet. Hope it's not too high. Oh Yea....I got my unit at Sam's for $136.38.How cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?
likely the latterHow cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?
Just keep your house at 74 degrees and do not change it during the day. It costs more to cool the place then to keep it at the temperature you want it at. The problem with window units is they take more energy then the normal ac.How cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?
Of course the fan is better (for cost) yet climate does change somewhat and may seem dryer. A 5000 btu seems a little much to conflict with the purpose of having central air and does bump the cost up considerably (unless this is just for night time and therefor may meet your need. But I would first try the vent adjustments. Wide open where you want it cooler and closed where you don't. That's the best approach.How cost effective is a 5,000 BTU window air conditioner for a small bedroom?
If it is just for a room get the 5,000 BTU. It won't run long just to cool one room and make sure there is a socket for the plug/ 115/120V

No comments:

Post a Comment