Wednesday, November 24, 2010

1997 Jetta Easiest way to get to and change the Thermostat? Also ECT Specs?

2.0L 5 Speed. with A/C. The thermostat is on the bottom side of the waterpump and is blocked by the Alternator and A/C unit. Is there a mechanic out there than can tell me the easiest way to get to the thermostat. I'm only a little mechanically inclined. :) I do have the Chiltons manual but it doesn't say how to get to the Thermostat. I have replaced Thermostats before in my toyoto... very easy! Also i need to test the Coolant Temp Sensor(ECT), what spec readings should I be getting? It is a four terminal connector.



Thanks, Tanya1997 Jetta Easiest way to get to and change the Thermostat? Also ECT Specs?
Volkswagen has a problem with the water pump impeller falling off causing overheating, running hot, no circulation, cooling fan not kicking on. If this might be your problem you can see the water pump impeller after removing the thermostat. To get the thermostat you need a 1/4%26quot; drive 8mm or 10mm socket with a 1/4%26quot; drive wobble socket. This may require removing the alternator on some models. Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment