Thursday, September 22, 2011

How can I tell if my transmission has a computer(electrical) or mechanical Problem.?

So My car was having some overheating problems, and I knew that it was the thermostat. So I was going to change my thermostat and flush my cooling system because my car was overheating. And I was going to lift my car by driving it up a ramp, the ones you place in front of your wheels. And half way up the ramp I hear a pop, there was no grind at all, just one pop, not too loud but something popped. My car, 1995 Nissan Maxima automatic, now stays in neutral whether I put it on drive or reverse. Theres not grind at all, but its like it stays in neutral. And also while I was driving my car up the ramp, the car was overheating. Cause I had to get the parts from autozone, and was a bit over on the way back. I heard that the overheating could of caused the system to disengage the transmission. I have drained the oil and took out the transmission cover in the bottom. I checked the shifter cable, and the connection inside, and it seems to be moving normally. So how can I check if its an electrical problem?How can I tell if my transmission has a computer(electrical) or mechanical Problem.?
99% probability you've broken something in the trans. Overheating the engine is highly unlikely to cause a trans problem. Driving to and from AutoZone is light duty to the transmission, so the trans oil would likely be between 200 and 300 degrees fahrenheit and quite happy there, even though the engine isn't. If you were pulling a heavy trailer out of Death Valley in August, that would be another story.



The pop implies something broke--a spline, a housing, a shaft, or something along those lines.



I believe Nissan uses Jatco automatics, not a Hydra-Matic, but generally pretty reliable. You might look to see if there's a typical high-mileage failure of the transmission model installed in your car.How can I tell if my transmission has a computer(electrical) or mechanical Problem.?
mechanical problem not computer for the transmission only thing in the trans with wires are for neutral safety switch and a lock up solenoid for the torque converter when you over heat the trans you burn the frictions in the trans more than likely you have broken a planetary gear which is common for these transmissions

No comments:

Post a Comment